5 Reasons Why This Lesser-Known European Island Is Perfect For A Sunny Winter Getaway

woman overlooking Gran Canaria, Spain

Share The Article

Last Updated

While some vacationers are counting the times till they will bask in a cup of scorching cocoa and take within the views of snow-laced peaks, others are dreaming of a heat beachy escape that’ll present a much-needed break from the plummeting temperatures again house.

woman overlooking Gran Canaria, Spain

If that sounds such as you, there’s one specific European island that must be moved proper to the highest of your journey bucket record.

Gran Canaria, a part of Spain’s iconic Canary Islands archipelago, is among the area’s crown jewels, beckoning vacationers with open arms and sunny shores regardless of winter being only a hop, skip, and bounce away.


So, in case you’re nonetheless on the seek for your subsequent journey vacation spot, what you’ll discover beneath would possibly simply persuade you to move off to Gran Canaria this winter.

Dreamy Weather

One of probably the most defining options that units Gran Canaria other than different winter getaway locations throughout Europe is its dreamy weather that continues to maintain vacationers heat even this time of 12 months.

According to TUI, the UK’s largest tour operator, common temperatures on the island are anticipated to hover round 20°C (68°F), which, whereas not fairly supreme for sunbathing, are good for nice sightseeing excursions the place you gained’t need to put on something greater than a lightweight t-shirt.

aerial view of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

However, seashore lovers shall be delighted to be taught that swimming continues to be very a lot on the desk, because the a part of the Atlantic that meets the island’s shores is remarkably heat, at the same time as air temperatures begin to drop.

This upcoming month, water temperatures are anticipated to common 21° C (70°F), making it one of the best time to go in for a pleasing but refreshing swim.

Moreover, predictions converse of a 63% probability of an ideal sunny day this December and a 37% probability of seeing a couple of clouds, so chances are high that you just’ll get to soak below the Spanish solar greater than as soon as throughout your time right here.

So Much To See

One of the principle explanation why you’ll come to understand the nice climate in Gran Canaria is the truth that you’ll have a protracted itinerary to finish earlier than you permit the island.

Landscape with Maspalomas town and golden sand dunes at sunrise, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain

The area is a microcosm of numerous landscapes and ecosystems, and the island’s inside, a Unesco Biosphere Reserve, is house to the long-lasting Roque Nublo, a towering volcanic rock formation whose panoramic views are to not be missed.

On the opposite hand, these seeking to get a tan this winter can nonetheless make the most of Gran Canaria’s 146-mile-long (236 km) shoreline.

Gran Canaria coastline

Here, you’ll discover the idyllic gold-sanded seashores of Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas, the place you can’t solely take within the spectacular views but in addition discover the buzzing underwater world of the area. 

An Event-Filled Winter

If mountain climbing or diving isn’t actually your factor, you possibly can all the time stick with the cultural occasions that happen all around the island this time of 12 months.

Attend the Christmas Eve live performance at Santa Ana Square, expertise the exhilarating music performed on the concert events on Las Canteras Beach, stroll by means of the outdated city of Las Palmas, or go to one of many many Christmas Markets scattered throughout Gran Canaria – the alternatives are just about countless.

Exceptional Cuisine

Though this may be anticipated when visiting Southern Europe, it’s nonetheless value mentioning – Gran Canaria’s culinary scene is a marvel ready to be explored.

local food: plate of cooked fish with plantains, tomatoes and onions in Cartagena

Drawing inspiration from Spanish, African, and Latin American cuisines, the daring, flavorful dishes served by native tavernas function a testomony to the island’s numerous influences all through its previous.

From contemporary seafood caught proper off the coast to arrugadas, mojo sauces, and the famend Canarian black pig, the area guarantees to take each palate by means of the journey of a lifetime.

A Gateway To Other Idyllic Islands

If you’re seeking to bask in an island-hopping expertise this upcoming winter, organising base in Gran Canaria is among the finest decisions you can also make.

apagayo Beach In Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain

Whether you need to discover the volcanic landscapes of Lanzarote or the plush forests of La Gomera, the island serves as the proper gateway to an thrilling, well-rounded exploration of the complete Canary archipelago.

Read More:

Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week

How To Easily Earn Points For Free Travel

↓ Join Our Community ↓

The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring every day! 


Enter your e-mail handle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.

This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »